By Dennis Rowarr SCENE ONE The spaceport, the frozen plains, Balticum VI DRAKE, cornered by ORLOV's maser pistol, is at a loss at what action to take. The others, equally helpless, do nothing but watch the ensuing exchange of words. DRAKE: (sharply) OK, so you found me out, but don't think this makes the Federation any greater! ORLOV: I do not, Mr. Duck. I am not Federation. DRAKE: (confused) What? FELICIA: Then why did you force us down? ORLOV: (to Felicia) It is not my place to question, madam. Only our Tsar may tell you why. He ordered you down, and so we complied. DRAKE: And just where is this... Tsar? ORLOV: There is a transport on its way here that will take you directly to the palace. A low-ranking officer like myself is forbidden to accompany you. (looks across the plains) Here is your transport. The others look in the same direction as ORLOV, and see a large transporter travelling towards them. The transporter is covered entirely in dull-grey reinforced plating, with snow and ice lining the cracks between the plates. The vehicle moves on four sets of caterpillar tracks, which are mounted on four individual trapezium- shaped bases. ORLOV: A Razhnik snow-tractor. The only vehicle capable of traversing the frozen plains. DRAKE: (to Orlov) What about our ship? ORLOV: My orders are to keep it well-guarded and to halt anyone from entering. DRAKE: Including me? ORLOV gives a silent nod. The Razhnik stops short of the group, and a large door opens in its side. Two POLAR BEARS, wearing uniforms decorated with snow-camouflage, wait patiently in the doorway, armed with fierce-looking rifles. BEAR #1: (gestures with gun) Come! The group reluctantly move towards the Razhnik, as ORLOV watches them calmly. ORLOV: (to himself) Dos verdanya, Drake Duck. SCENE TWO Throne room, Royal Palace, the Forbidden Citadel, Balticum VI Two large, gold-gilted doors marking the entrance to the throne room open inwards, allowing a slim POLAR BEAR to enter. The POLAR BEAR wears a lavish uniform reminiscent of the leading generals of Tsarist Russia, right down to the gilded sword at his side. He marches into the room, where the TSAR (another Polar Bear in a similar uniform) is stood peering out of the window. OFFICER: (light Russian accent) Almighty Tsar, the crew of the Avenger have been brought into the Forbidden Citadel as you ordered. TSAR: (bold Russian accent) Thank you, general. Are they here now? OFFICER: (nods) Da, almighty Tsar. They are waiting in the anteroom if you wish me to send them in. TSAR: Please. The OFFICER briefly exits, and returns with the crew of the Avenger, who stare in awe at the extravagent decoration of the throne room. The walls are lined with finely polished oak panelling, which matches some of the inferior furniture intended for guests or advisors. The throne sits at the far end, and like the doors leading from the throne room, it is gilded almost entirely in gold, with smoothened velvet cushions. The entire room is the epitome of an opulent lifestyle. TSAR: (to Officer) Thank you, General Ignatiev, that will be all. IGNATIEV salutes, and exits, closing the doors behind him. The moment he has gone, the TSAR begins to smile broadly, outstretching his arms as he walks towards the half-frozen fugitives. TSAR: (smiling broadly) Ah, Drake Duck! What a pleasure it is for an old bear like me to have the Liberator of Genus in my court! DRAKE: (confused) Err, thank you. How did you know about us? Major Orlov told us you weren't Federation, yet you seem to know a great deal about us, Mr... TSAR: Oh, forgive me! (proudly) I am Wenceslas II, Tsar of Balticum Six and Defender of the Polar Bears. I am the ruler of this planet, but it is by no means an easy job. (pause) The Federation only just tolerate our existence. They consider us to be... a necessary evil. DRAKE: How so? TSAR WENCESLAS II begins to pace about the throne room, still speaking in the same clear voice, as haunting memories return to him. As he does so, FELICIA'S spell-gems glow faintly as the Aldebaran reads the TSAR's mind to detect any truth in his statements. TSAR: Our world is not like those in the rest of the aniverse. We have space technology, true, but in terms of society, we are considered to be backward. We did not eliminate slavery until just seventy years ago, under my grandfather, Tsar Aleksandr II. (pause) Because we are one of few worlds with no senate or parliament, tensions between the crown and the proles are much stronger here than anywhere else. FELICIA: In other words, if you are deposed, the Federation will be forced to deal with the revolution that follows. TSAR: (nods) That is correct. The Federation has attempted to win us over with its propaganda, but I will not see the motherland engulfed by their evil. They have "requested" that neutral worlds like ours keep watch for the Avenger, and their descriptions of her crew were very precise, hence why I knew you when you entered. DRAKE: (nods slightly) All very impressive, your highness, but it still doesn't explain why you forced us down on your world. TSAR: (after a long pause) I will explain all tonight, Mr. Duck. (looking around suspiciously) The walls have ears, and even I no longer feel safe in my own palace. (louder voice) I would be most delighted if you all attended our ball tonight. (much quieter) It will be safer to talk there. DRAKE turns to FELICIA, whose spell-gems immediately stop glowing. She gives DRAKE a nod to indicate that TSAR WENCESLAS II is truthful, and DRAKE turns back to the monarch. DRAKE: (feigns a smile) We'd be happy to accept Your Majesty's invitation. TSAR: (beaming) Wonderful! My servants will show you to your quarters, and you shall have the finest clothes of anyone in the palace! The double-doors open, and the crew of the Avenger exit, leaving TSAR WENCESLAS to his thoughts. TSAR: (thinking) < Good. Now to complete the rest of my preparations... > SCENE THREE Ballroom, Royal Palace, the Forbidden Capitol, Balticum VI Later that evening, several important OFFICERS and ARISTOCRATS are gathered in a lavish ballroom, dancing beneath the large, pearl- encrusted chandelier to the mellow music of a small string ORCHESTRA. Amongst the dignitaries already present are TSAR WENCESLAS and IGNATIEFF, both of whom are conversing to one another as the music continues. In another corner are DRAKE, FELICIA, OUTCAST and MICHAEL. Only OUTCAST has changed into new clothes - in his case, a smart, black tuxedo. DRAKE: (crosses his arms) The entire aniverse is under siege and they're all dancing! I know they need escapism, but this seems a bit much! OUTCAST: I'm not complaining. Compared to a lifetime of hunting borsels on Gulag, this is Paradise! FELICIA's gems begin to glow again as she tries to read someone's mind, but she quickly stops. FELICIA: (to Drake) I can't read the Tsar's mind. There are too many people here for me to focus. If you want to find out what he's doing, Drake, you'll have to find out yourself. MICHAEL: Whatever it is, he must be pretty desperate. DRAKE: Or frightened. MIMI: (off) What d'you think, boys? They all turn to see MIMI, who has recently entered the ballroom, wearing a ballroom dress fit only for royalty. The dress is blue in colour, with exposed shoulders that are framed by decorative trimmings. A pair of elbow-length gloves match the dress, whilst a silver necklace rests neatly around MIMI's neck, with an eagle pendant reaching down to the top of her breasts. MIMI: (smiling hopefully) So, what d'you think? MICHAEL, who has been holding a glass of champagne in his gloved hand, lets his grip slip and the glass shatters on the floor. MICHAEL: (stunned) Mimi... MIMI: (purrs) You like it? It looks even better up close... The ORCHESTRA begins to play a rendition of "Rhapsody in G Minor" by Brahms. At the sound of the music, MIMI takes MICHAEL by the hand, and the two begin to dance, disappearing among the ARISTOCRATS and OFFICERS also present on the dance-floor. FELICIA: (grins) They make a good couple, don't they? DRAKE: (uninterested) Hmm. TSAR WENCESLAS II appears beside them, along with a female POLAR BEAR about DRAKE's age, wearing a purple dress that is more conservative in nature compared to MIMI's. She stares curiously at DRAKE and his crew as TSAR WENCESLAS speaks. TSAR: (disappointed) Oh, Mr. Duck, you are not wearing the clothes I set out for you! DRAKE: I have worn rags all of my life, your highness. I only continue to wear them now because I'm used to them, not to spite your Majesty. OUTCAST: (a little embarrassed) And, if the truth be told, your highness, I, err... don't know how to do buttons. TSAR: Da, well... (gestures to female bear) This is my daughter, Princess Tanya, heir to the throne of Balticum VI. TANYA: (curtseys, female Russian accent) It is an honour to meet you, Mr. Duck. DRAKE: (frowns, looking at Tsar Wenceslas) Is this what...? TSAR WENCESLAS II silently nods, gazing around the room for a few moments, before turning back to the others. TSAR: (to Tanya) Would you and the Aldebaran care for some refreshment? I would like to speak alone with Mr. Duck. TANYA complies, leading FELICIA away. TANYA: (to Felicia) We have very special wine here on Balticum. I think you might like it. Once they have gone, DRAKE turns with crossed arms to TSAR WENCESLAS II. DRAKE: (raises an eyebrow) Well? TSAR: I promise you that you will be allowed to leave, but when you do... would you take Tanya with you? OUTCAST: (confused) Why Tanya? TSAR: (in a low voice) The revolution is coming a lot sooner than I anticipated. I have recently had word that my own soldiers intend to turn on me when I least expect it. DRAKE: And so, you wish for your daughter to be out of harm's way when the revolution does arrive? The TSAR quietly nods, still looking around suspiciously at the guests. DRAKE: (sighs) Well, your highness, I think your daughter may be in even more danger if she does come with us. If you have heard the Federation propaganda, then you must know what is at stake. TSAR: (nods) Da, da. But I have heard amongst my men of a world beyond Federation space, where freedom fighters are gathering. DRAKE: Aes? TSAR: (nodding) Da, Aes. The Federation say it is just a fairy tale, but if you are intending to go there, and if Aes truly is a free world, then I want Tanya to go there, where she can live a free life. (pause) She has been brought up entirely in the Forbidden Citadel, and I want her to experience the aniverse as it should be experienced. DRAKE turns to look at OUTCAST, before looking back at the TSAR. DRAKE: (firmly) We'll think it over tonight, and let you know in the morning, your Majesty. TSAR: (pleadingly) Please do what is right, Mr. Duck. Both I and Balticum will be grateful. He disappears amongst the crowd, leaving DRAKE and OUTCAST alone. OUTCAST: (quietly, to Drake) What do we do? DRAKE: Wait until tonight. We'll meet together in my room and think it over together. The more we know of Tanya and the Tsar, the better it'll be for all of us. OUTCAST: (looks out over the crowd) And to think that the Tsar could be entertaining the very mastermind underneath his own roof. I'd hate to be the one dancing with them. SCENE FOUR A shack, somewhere outside the Forbidden Citadel, Balticum VI Several POLAR BEARS in thick coats are sat at a table playing cards in a rickety, wooden hut. The hut is full of maser rifles, which are stacked in one corner, and a fire is blazing in the stone fireplace. FIRST BEAR: (gruff, Russian accent) He's late. SECOND BEAR: (deep, Polish accent) He'll be here. FIRST BEAR: He'd better be. If he has betrayed us, I shall tell all of his part in this! THIRD BEAR: (squeaky, Russian accent) Calm yourself, Grigor. You forget that the Tsar is holding another of his decadent orgies. It would be difficult for him to get away. GRIGOR: (sharply) It is if he is taking part! SECOND BEAR: Which is more than what you are doing with this game, Grigor. GRIGOR: I am tired of playing, Mikhail! If he does not come, then I go alone! Suddenly, the door to the shack swings open, and a figure walks in, concealed by a large, black coat and a furry hat. The other bears stand up, abandoning their game, as the figure removes its coat and hat, revealing GENERAL IGNATIEV. He gives a sickly smile to the others as he toys with a dirk in his paws. IGNATIEV: Good evening, comrades. I'm sorry to have kept you waiting. GRIGOR: (snaps) And where have you been? Bedding another of the Tsar's whores, no doubt! IGNATIEV: Actually, Grigor, I have been doing some eavesdropping. Our beloved Tsar intends to smuggle his daughter off the planet! The time for action, comrades, is now! He throws the dirk through the air, the blade slicing through the King of Diamonds as the dirk lands on the table-top. TO BE CONTINUED...