The Shadow of a Hero, Betrayal from a Loved One by: Dahaka Author's note: This a prologue for you to understand my other stories. "The Shadow of a Hero" is the title of the series. Scene 1 Aldebaran 300 years ago A pregnant Aldebaran with red fur was waiting for the results of her ultrasound test. The healing sister comes out of the laboratory with the results. Healing Sister (slowly) "Shadi, your results are finished." Shadi (anxiously) "What does it say?" Healing Sister (sadly) "... It's not good, your child is a male and..." Shadi (now even more anxious) "And?" Healing Sister (sadly) "He has magic in him and you know what that means..." Shadi covers her eyes and seems to be crying. The Healing Sister goes next to her and puts her arm around Shadi. Healing Sister (slowly) "I know how much you wanted a child Shadi, but you know that that child has to be executed." Shadi continues to cry as the Healing Sister asks for the next patient Scene 2 At the Queen's palace Queen (slightly shouting) "Shadi, please present yourself" Shadi walks into the throne room and stands in front of the Queen. Shadi (neutrally) "Your highness" Queen (also neutrally) "Shadi, your child has been proven to be a male with magic in him" Shadi (still neutrally) "Yes, your highness" Queen (do I have to say it again) "In accord to the rules of the Aldebaran, your child shall be executed the day after he is born." Shadi (slowly) "I know, your highness, but..." The Queen stares at her, in confusion Shadi (sadly) "... all I wanted in life was to have a child even if it were to be a male. Now that my child has to be executed, I have nothing." Shadi seems to cry a little Shadi (crying) "Please your highness, let my child live." Queen (angrily) "I will not have this. Under Aldebaran rules, that child must be executed and there is nothing you can do about it." Suddenly the the princess of Aldebaran, Lin who had yellow fur steps in front of her mother Queen (shocked) "Lin!!! What is the meaning of this?" Lin (reasonably) "Mother, can't you see that she is crying? The only thing that would make her life complete is that child that she is carrying in her womb. Now you're going to take it away from her? Please mother, be reasonable." Queen (angrily) "It's not my fault Lin!!! It stricly states in the Aldebaran rules..." Lin (interrupts) "Then I have a proposition..." The Queen looks as if she is wondering what Lin will say next Lin (being reasonable still) "We give this child 20 years to prove that he can help us, the Aldebarans. If he fails, we get rid of him." The Queen thinks it over after 30 mins of thinking about the propisition she makes a decision. Queen (slightly mad) "Fine, he shall serve me for the next 20 years as a slave." Lin and Shadi silently celebrate in their heads Queen (slightly shouting) "But..." Lin and Shadi were afraid of what she'll say Queen (villain-like) "... if he fails, he shall be executed...And both of you will be the executioners" She points at Shadi and Lin. Shadi felt her heart fall to her heels Queen (neutrally) "You take that or you go with execution after birth." Shadi (quickly responds) "Yes, your highness, I'll take the proposition" Queen (still neutral) "Then it's settled. Guards!!!! Show her to the door." Lin (quickly) "No, I'll do it" Queen (slightly mad) "If it pleases you" Lin and Shadi walk out of the room. Scene 3 Outside the Palace Shadi (crying) "Thank you Lin" She said as she cried on her shoulder Lin (happily) "Don't mention it. What are friends for?" Scene 4 The queen's palace, 20 years later Queen (angrily) "Phaias!!! Where is my drink!!" Phaias, a 20 year old male with red fur runs into the throne room but trips in front of the Queen, spilling her drink on her. The Queen shouts Phaias (scared) "I'm really sorry, Your highness" Queen (still angry) "Really, Phaias. This is the 6th time in 3 days." Phaias looks down Queen (angrily) "Not to mention that this place is filthy and I remember I had 8 vases in here but now there are only 5 left!!!" Phaias (scared) "I'm really sorry..." Queen (interrupts) "Hush!!!!!! Go back to the only thing you do best around here." Phaias (silently angry) "But I just..." Queen (interrupts again) "I'm pretty sure that she did it again." Scene 5 Room of Ferah and Kila Lin's daughters, Ferah, who had yellowish fur and Kila her sister had grayish fur. Both girls are twins and shared the same room which was rarely tidy. Phaias goes into Ferah's room and see's that it has a sea of toys on the floor. The girls were only 5 years of age. Phaias (stressfully) "Not again." Phaias starts picking up toys and putting them back to their proper place Scene 6 In the throne room, while Phaias was cleaning the room Queen (demandingly) "Guard! Please summon my daughter." Guard (quickly) "Yes, your highness." The guard walks out of the room and comes back 15 minutes later with Lin who was now 48 years old. Lin (curious) "Yes mother?" Queen (neutrally) "Lin, do you remember what happened here 20 years ago?" Lin (sarcatically) "No mother, do you expect me to keep track of what happened 20 years ago?" Queen (neutrally) "No I don't. I'm just asking, because 20 years ago was the time when that Shadi came in with her child." Lin (also neutral) "Oh now I remember, we were arguing about..." Lin fell silent and afraid Queen "That's right. Today is the day I make my decision if Phaias lives, or dies." Lin (shakily) "And your answer is?" Queen (ironically) "You tell me, with the palace always filthy, things breaking left and right, me drenched with orange juice and not to mention that time he almost sliced one of my guards because he was playing with a dagger!" Lin fell silent again Queen (neutrally) "Come here." Lin approaches her mother. The Queen gives her a letter addressed to Shadi. Queen (slowly) "Bring this to her." Lin (still shaking) "Yes... I'll go now." As Lin made her way to the door, it suddenly barges open with Ferah and Kila barge in laughing. They were being chased by Phaias Phaias (panting) "I'm sorry your highness it's just that..." Ferah (teasing) "You can't catch us Phaias!!!" Kila (also teasing) "Slow poke!!! Slow poke!!!" Phaias (happily) "Oh you better start running!" They circled the throne twice and ran out through the door again. Queen (regretfully) "Your daughters seem happy." Lin (sadly) "I know... I'm sure they'll miss him... So will I" Lin goes out through the door Scene 7 Shadi's home There is a knock on the door Shadi (shouting) "Who is it?" Lin (neutrally) "It's me." Shadi (curiously) "Lin?" Lin (neutral still) "Yes" Shadi answers the door. She was now 45 years old. But still looked the way she did 20 years ago. Shadi (happily) "Hi! This is unexpected. Come in." Lin just walks in Shadi (curious again) "Is there something wrong?" Lin (curious) "Huh? Why would you say that?" Shadi (jokingly) "You usually say 'thank you' when I say 'Come in'." Lin shows her the letter. Shadi looks at it then back at Lin. Lin simply nods and Shadi lets out an outburst of tears Lin "Make sure he stays home tomorrow. I'll be here at 2pm" Lin walks out the door. Shadi sees her wipe a tears of her eyes. 3 hours later, Phaias comes home. Phaias (happily) "I'm home" Shadi (smiling) "How was your day son?" Phaias (half heartedly) "Well I spilled the drink again. The Queen got mad, I got punished." Shadi (neutrally) "You should be careful next time" She said even though she knew there won't be a next time Phaias (happily) "But I felt better after a tiring game of tag with Ferah and Kila. They're pretty fast for kids" Shadi (laughing) "You seem to enjoy playing with them a lot." Phaias (happily) "I know, they're so fun to be with even though I'm already 20 years old." The conversation went on for hours until they felt tired and went to sleep. Phaias was fast asleep but Shadi on the other hand was wide awake the whole night. Scene 8 Shadi's home, morning Phaias (grumpy) "Mom! I'm going to the palace now OK?" Shadi (quickly) "Oh, about that..." She thinks quickly for a lie to make him stay in the house Shadi (smiling) "...Lin requested her mother to give you the day-off so all 3 of us could spend the day together." Phaias (excited) "Aunt Lin? She's coming over?" Shadi nods her head (nod means yes, shake means no) Phaias (more excited) "Alright! She's my favorite aunt. So what are we gonna do?" Shadi (neutrally) "I'm not sure, I'll leave that decision to Aunt Lin" Phaias (this guy is so excited now) "When is she coming?" Shadi (smiling) "She said around 2pm." Phaias (happily) "I'll get ready" Phaias runs upstairs to his room, excited. While Shadi wishes that 2pm would never come. Later that day, 3pm Phaias (excited) "I wonder where she is?" Shadi (curious) "I don't know." Suddenly there's a knock on the door. Phaias gets up and answers the door, to see Lin and her daughters. Phaias (happily) "Hi Aunt Lin, Ferah and Kila" Lin (smiling) "Hi Phaias." Ferah (kiddish) "Phaias, let's play the helicopter game!" Phaias (happy) "Sure!" Kila (quickly) "I'm next!" As Phaias lifts up Ferah and spins her, Lin walks to Shadi Shadi (curious and whispering) "Why are they here?" Lin (whispering) "They insisted on coming." Shadi (whispering) "Then what are we going to do?" Lin (whispering) "I'll send them somewhere for a while" Shadi (whispering) "Ok. Oh and I told Phaias that we're going somewhere with you, where do you want to go." Lin (thinking and whispering) "Um... Ah! The market I'm sure we could find some of Ferah's and Kila's friends there so we could send them away." Shadi (ironically and whispering) "The market? Oh sure what a nice place to kill..." Shadi went silent Lin "...Remember the cliff we found there?" Shadi just nods Lin (whispers) "We'll bring him there, OK" Shadi nods again Shadi (whispers) "Ok, let's go, we're going to the market." Scene 9 Market place After doing a little shopping Lin gave Shadi the signal. Lin spots some friends of her daughters Lin (happily) "Hey look, it's Tera and Yuna, don't you want to play with them." Ferah and Kila shake their heads Lin (curious) "Why not?" Kila (happily) "We want to stay with Phaias." Shadi and Lin looked at each other and realized how much Ferah and Kila liked Phaias. Shadi notices that Phaias is gone Shadi (curious) "By the way, where is Phaias?" Kila (giggling) "He went there" She points at a stall for gifts. All of them looked towards there. Ferah (giggling too) "He said he'll get us something." Lin (surprised) "Really now?" Phaias comes back with 4 items Phaias (happily) "Ferah, I got you a bracelet" He gave her a little silver bracelet with a very beautiful design Ferah (happily) "Thank you Phaias." She quickly puts it on Phaias (smiling) "You're welcome. For Kila, I got you a necklace to add to your collection" The necklace had a heart on it with smaller hearts surrounding it. She puts it on. Kila (happy also) "This will be the only one that I'll wear. Thank you!" Phaias (surprised) "What? You won't put it in your wall like the others?" Kila shakes her head Phaias (smiling) "Your choice. Aunt Lin, I got this for you." He showed her a pair of earings with pearls. Lin took them and stared at it for quite a while. After 10 seconds, Phaias waves his hand in front of her face. Phaias (curious) "Aunt Lin? You still in there?" Lin (dumbstruck) "Huh? Oh, um, thank you Phaias" Phaias (jokingly) "For a moment there I thought you were hypnotized" He then moves toward his mom. Phaias (embarrassed) "Um, I sort of blew all my cash on their gifts so I was only able to get you this." He showed her a bright red rose. He gave it to her followed my a hug. Shadi (almost crying) "Thank you son." Phaias (dude is this guy happy or what?) "Dont mention it. So let's get moving" Phaias, Ferah and Kila went ahead while Lin and Shadi spoke to each other. Lin (in a low voice) "I always liked pearls..." Shadi (also low voiced) "This only makes it harder to do what we have to." They followed their children. A few minutes later, Lin gave Ferah and Kila money to buy toys, they quickly took off. Lin nods at Shadi. Shadi (fake happy) "Phaias, I want to show you something." Phaias (curious) "What is it?" Lin (smiling but pained) "It's a place, the most beautiful place in all of Aldebaran" Phaias (excited) "Really? Where is it?" Lin (still smiling and pained) "We'll show you." They walked out of the market through a back way. Scene 10 Cliff near the market They got out of the market to see a beautiful sunset. Phaias (outstanded) "I've never seen anything like it." While Phaias was admiring the scenery, Lin and Shadi put their hands inside their cloaks which contained their swords Phaias (happily) "When did you find this place?" Lin (neutrally) "It was 23 years ago, you weren't born yet or even in your moms womb." Shadi (neutrally) "We found that back way while shopping. We were curious enough to go in and we found this." Phaias turns to admire the scenery again. Lin (slowly) "But we soon found out that this place was cliff was used for execution." Phaias turned around. Phaias (curious) "Execution?" Shadi (slowly) "Yes, what looks so beautiful actually brings death." Phaias (curious) "Who would be executed here?" Lin (slowly) "Males, the ones with magic" Phaias grew afraid Phaias (afraid and curious) "Mom? Do I have magic?" Shadi and Lin approached him. Phaias grew even more afraid. He stepped back until his feet were at the edge. Shadi put her arm on Phaias' shoulder Shadi (slowly) "Son, if I were you, I would enjoy this scenery as much as possible... because it's your last." Right after Shadi said 'last', Lin stabbed Phaias in the stomach with her sword. Phaias screams in pain. In his pain he collapses on one knee and cluthes his mother's cloak Phaias (in pain) "Mom... Why?" Shadi (slowly) "I'm sorry son...You do have magic." Shadi then takes her sword out and slashes him to the left and to the right, making him fall down the cliff with Lin's sword still in his stomach. Since he clutched on to his mother's cloak, he took it down with him. Shadi watched her son fall until she couldn't see him anymore. She collapsed and let out an outburst of tears. Lin was trying not to cry but she couldn't hold it and had to cover her face. Minutes pass until Lin stops crying and wipes her tears. Lin (sadly) "Shadi, staying here won't make those tears disappear." Shadi (crying) "You're right, go ahead, I'll follow." Lin disappears back into the market. Shadi stands up after a while, and wipes away her tears and goes back to the market. But before she went in, she took out the rose that Phaias gave her. She cast a spell on it so it would stay alive. She put it on her hair as she walks back in the market. Scene 11 Bottom of the cliff, the day after We see Phaias' body with the sword still in his stomach. He isn't moving. It seems that he is surely dead. Suddenly we see his fingers twitch and his eyes slowly open... ...To Be Continued